- This event has passed.
The Great Biology Bake-Off
December 16, 2022 @ 4:00 pm - 6:00 pm
Pictured Above: Baking models submitted by participants of The Great Biology Bake-Off
Photos by Dr. Ahna Skop (read full article here)
The main goal of the event The Great Biology Bake-off is to learn about cell and molecular biology by having meetings with graduate students from University of Wisconsin-Madison and creating biology-themed culinary art projects. Participants will form a team (3-5 people per team) and will develop a project with their graduate student mentor over the course of several weeks. The graduate student mentor will help the participants come up with a project design that tells a story of discovery or illustrates a concept. Each team will submit their project proposal by December 9th and work on baking their model in the days leading up to the showcase (December 16th). The baking projects will be done in the local high school kitchens (e.g. Madison East High school).
On the showcase, each team will present their project with their final baking model. The work will be judged by a panel of professors, graduate students, and/or local professional bakers and the winning teams will be awarded with prizes.
Please register for the event by filling out the registration form.
- October 28th – Registration open to students and volunteering mentors.
- November 3rd – Graduate student mentors will be matched with their teams of participants.
- November 7th – December 8th – Graduate students will meet with their high school student mentees weekly to develop a project design.
- December 9th – Last day for submission of project description.
- December 12th – December 16th – Teams bake their project.
- December 16th – Showcase. Students can invite their family member or legal guardian. Location TBD.
Instructions & Guidelines:
- Instructions for students and volunteers
- Submission guidelines for participants
- Project design worksheet
- Meeting guidelines for graduate student mentors
If you have any questions, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.