Student Learning Goals
- Gain a broad understanding of the cellular and molecular principles that underlie biological processes.
- Develop proficiency in a chosen area of cellular and molecular biology.
- Learn to think critically and problem solve to address research challenges using a broad range of theories, research methods, and approaches to scientific inquiry.
- Create research and scholarship that makes a substantive contribution to the field of cellular and molecular biology.
- Experience collaboration with scientists within the lab, the department, the program, the university, and beyond.
- Clearly and effectively communicate scientific ideas and research to both scientists and non-scientists in written and oral forms.
- Exhibit and foster ethical and professional conduct.
- Gain exposure to potential career paths and develop leadership and professional skills that will prepare them for a successful and rewarding career.
2020 Learning Goals Assessment Results
To quantitatively assess the progress of each student toward the learning goals, we asked faculty to report whether their student exceeds, meets, or does not meet expectations for each of the program’s eight learning goals and to share the results with the student. Similarly, the students were asked to assess their own performance based on the same goals.